Word Wednesday: Henry David Thoreau

7:00:00 PM


I'm a little ashamed to admit that I have started (and given up on) Walden several times in recent years. I love the idea of Thoreau's solo flight to the woods and his exploration of social, emotional, and spiritual independence, but when it actually comes down to reading it, I feel so incredibly scattered! Each time I picked up the book, my mind begins spinning in a hundred different directions. But when I see beautiful quotes like this one, it makes me want to try again - and who knows, maybe I will. 


I certainly felt a little lost last year, and while there are still so many things in my life that have yet to resolve themselves, I've begun to feel as though I'm finding my balance among the shifting sands. I recently told someone that it feels nice to feel nice (for the first time in a long time). And while I know that my own quest for independence (and happiness from within instead of without) is an ongoing one, this quote serves as a reminder that this is a journey without a real destination.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Goodreads

Tweets

Subscribe