Book Talk: We Should All Be Feminists

7:00:00 PM



After reading Whitney @ Imaginary Bookclub's post about We Should All Be Feminists, I immediately ordered a copy for myself. 

She sold me on it from the start, but it didn't hurt that she mentioned you could pick up a copy for about as much as a cup of coffee. Thanks, Whitney! You're a book-addict enabler. 

I anxiously awaited it's arrival and, courtesy of my snazzy new Amazon Prime subscription, it arrived in just a couple of days. I have to say, I was shocked when I first opened the package. This book is tiny! 

Here's a picture of it sitting on top of my Moleskine notebook for reference:


There was a part of me that expected this book to be large and loaded, something that proved that I was woefully unequipped to call myself a feminist. But that wasn't what I discovered. 

Instead, I found We Should All Be Feminists was akin to a conversation with a friend, which is why I wasn't surprised to find that it was a transcription of a TED talk Adichie had given a few years back. 

Adichie is an eloquent speaker, intelligent and funny. She intertwines her experiences with her message, sharing anecdotes from her life and the lives of those around her, women and men whose experiences with gender have shaped the people they've become.

Here's the thing about this book - it doesn't read like a textbook or a lecture. Adichie isn't afraid to get personal, and her brevity speaks volumes about the stories left unsaid.

Whitney described Adichie's speech as "striking the perfect balance between storytelling and educating," and I couldn't agree more. I found myself thinking that what Adichie wanted was for people to think - to think about how they, regardless of their own gender, are affected by society's rules about it. She encourages people to consider how gender affects us as individuals and as a society. She encourages people to reclaim that loaded word, feminist, and above all, she encourages people to educate themselves about what, exactly, that means.

I think that Adichie's speech is great for both men and women who are interested in learning about feminism but aren't sure where to begin, as well as those who might already have an interest or prior knowledge about the subject.

I love the idea that We Should All Be Feminists is a jumping off point, a place for people to connect but also a tool to further the discussion. It was a quick read, and well worth it. As soon as I finished, I pulled up the TED talk, and while it's true that I could have saved myself a few bucks and just watched the talk alone, I find that listening and reading something are two very different experiences.


After reading and listening to this speech, I'm definitely interested in getting my hands on some more of Adichie's writing, so if you have recommendations about which novels of hers to read, I'm all ears! And let me know what you thought of We Should All Be Feminists in the comments below.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Goodreads

Tweets

Subscribe