Book Talk: #weirdathon update // Vampires in the Lemon Grove

6:43:00 PM


IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN. Rather, it's my final post for Outlandish Lit's weirdathon! Major props to Julianne for putting this whole thing together because it was super, super fun to be a part of.

Weirdathon was a reminder that even though I'm not as knowledgable or experienced as I would like to be in the world of books and blogging, I never would have even known about something like this a few years ago. So, that's pretty awesome.

Anyway, let's get into my final weirdathon read. I walked into the bookstore with the intention of picking out a new notebook and left with Vampires in the Lemon Grove 
a) because I have no self control, and
b) because I ran into it in the bargain bin immediately after walking in to the store.


I parked myself on a sunny seat outside Starbucks and before I knew it, I had read through the first three stories in this collection (and had the sunburn to prove it).

Of the eight stories included in this collection, I'd have to choose "The Barn at the End of Our Term" and "Dougbert Shackleton's Rules for Antarctic Tailgating" as my top two, with "Vampires in the Lemon Grove" and "Reeling for the Empire" as honorable mentions. What I liked best about this collection was the variety - the stories are all weird in different ways, but not so much so that they are alienating to the reader (at least, I didn't feel that way). I often struggle with short stories, but I'm also beyond impressed whenever I come across well written ones. These definitely fit the bill in that respect.

I was excited to squeeze in one more weird book during the month of March and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed weirdathon. The whole experience really pushed me out of my reading comfort zone and encouraged me to pick up books I had never heard of/never planned to read. Comparing my intended TBR to my actual books read is more than proof of that.

I'm still reading and loving the weird things, so if you've got some good book recommendations, give 'em to me. Until next time!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Goodreads

Tweets

Subscribe