#WeekofReviews // Sounds Like Me

9:00:00 AM


When I saw Andi @ Estella's Revenge post about needing a reviewathon after all the recent readathons, I realized she had hit on something I didn't know I wanted: #weekofreviews, AKA a fun, deadline oriented way to get me to write reviews of all the books I just haven't had time to talk about this year. 

I knew exactly which book I wanted to start with, because it has been one of my favorite reads of the year and one of my favorite audiobooks ever. That book is....
Sounds Like Me: My Life (so far) In Song
If you asked me to choose one artist whose music has changed my life, my answer would be Sara Bareilles. It's why, upon hearing that she had come out with a collection of essays, I was more than ecstatic. I immediately added my name to the hold list at the library so I could listen to the audiobook as soon as possible, and I am so, so very glad I did. It turned out to be one of the best books I've read - er, listened to - (so far) this year. See what I did there? Okay, I'm done.

I've been a fan of Sara Bareilles so long, I can't remember exactly when I started listening to her music. Her music was sassy and beautiful and resonant and so reflective of the person I was and the person I wanted to be that I couldn't help but listen. I devoured one album and then another, and another, until I had her lyrics imprinted on my brain.

It wasn't for some time though, that I realized I liked the artist as a person. Her interviews and the pieces of herself that she shared with the world made me like her (and respect her and her music in a new way). I was thrilled to hear she was writing a musical - Waitress - and even more thrilled when she announced she was writing a book. I knew I could expect the same humor, candor, and resonance I had come to expect from her music, but I had no idea just how much I would love it.

This book allowed me to see an entirely different side of one of my favorite artists, but even better, it felt incredibly personal. It's rare to connect to something on such a level, but as I listened to Sara tell me about the moments that defined her, I felt like she was talking about me. Not because I had been through the same things, but because she has the remarkable ability to speak about them in universal ways.

One essay is a series of letters to herself, past and present, and not only are they heartbreakingly honest, they're also full of some of the best advice. That section was one of my favorites, mostly because she spoke to herself with the same love, forgiveness, and brutal honesty you would use when having a conversation with your best friend or sister.

I had recently begun bullet journaling at the time I was listening to the book, and knew I wanted to create some kind of spread of the quotes and thoughts I had about it. It ended up looking like this:

I had some feelings about it.
In case it wasn't clear, I highly recommend this one. If you're a fan of her music, you'll enjoy the musical touches, references, and anecdotes, but if you're not, you're still going to get something out of this collection. It's funny, it's honest, it's beautiful, and I want everyone to read it.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Goodreads Goal

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Sparkles and Scribbles has read 21 books toward their goal of 75 books.
hide

Tweet tweet

Subscribe